art management &
A complete introduction to the Contemporary Art Market and Art Management.
Understand what it takes to manage a commercial art gallery, curate art exhibitions and work with artists, buyers and press.
This is the perfect course for those looking to kick start their career in the arts. Ideal for aspiring curators, art management students or those interested in working and understanding the art market.
This course includes:
12hrs of live lectures, including presentations and assignments.
Part one: Art Gallery Management
Part two: Art Exhibition Design and Curating
Part three: Art Handling and Installation
Extra Lectures on NFT Art, NFT collecting and understand the digital art market.
Course Certificate on completion
Next Course Start Date: Summer 2022
What we will cover in this course:
ART GALLERY MANAGEMENT
In Part 1 of this course we will discuss Art Gallery Management. You will understand how the overall art market works, the different types of art spaces and how they function. We will look in detail at the role of a gallery manager and understand how to manage an exhibition space, work with artists and how to find and manage art buyers.
THE ART MARKET
- Various types of art spaces and galleries
- Public vs. Private funded spaces
- Primary vs. Secondary art market
- The Auction House
- The gallery space
- The galleries as a brand
- The galleries curatorial focus
*Quick assignment: How to find out which art sector is right for you? How to find your passion for the arts?
- Role and responsibilities of a gallery manager.
- Relevant art management programmes & tools.
- Art Gallery software
PR & MARKETING
- Brand identity and message
- Content creation
- Press messaging
- Press management
- How to find artists
- How to approach or commission artists
- How to price artworks
- A quick introduction to print making
- A quick introduction to artist - gallery contracts
- Understanding your buyer
- Managing existing art buyers
- How to attract new buyers
EXHIBITION DESIGN & INTRO TO CURATING
In Part 2 of this course we will introduce the role of the art curator, how to manage an exhibition calendar, a 8 step guide to curating an exhibition and how to market your exhibition to a wider public.
THE ART EXHIBITION
- Various types of art exhibitions
- The Themed exhibition.
- How to develop a theme
- Visual examples of various types of exhibitions
- Exhibition calendar in a gallery
- A day inside an art gallery
- The 8 step guide to planning an exhibition
- Floor plan and traffic flow
- Health and safety
- Sustainability in the gallery
INTRODUCTION TO CURATION
- The Curator
- The role of a curator
- Floor plan and traffic flow
- Curating the environment
- The Curatorial Statement
ART HANDLING & PACKING
In Part 3 of this course you will learn how to handle artworks, package artworks, ship artworks nationally and internationally, how to install and hang artworks and how to professionally store artworks to avoid damaged work.
- Introduction to art packing techniques and materials
- Handling artwork
- Packing materials and techniques
- Zero-waste art packing
- Shipping artwork nationally and internationally safetly
- Artwork insurance
- Handling artwork in a gallery
- Hanging artwork
- Curating the art within a space
- Introduction to art lighting
- Type of lighting systems
- Introduction to art storage
Art Gallery Management 101
What Students Say
"Whether you are a student looking to start a career in the commercial art world or a gallery manager looking to hone your skills this course is relevant to all. Tina's wealth of knowledge is invaluable, and coupled with her relaxed delivery style presents gallery management as an exciting but obtainable challenge." -
Ruth, commented on Hotcourses
“ Absolutely fantabulous workshop teaching you everything you need to know about gallery management and business. Highly recommended to everyone involved in gallery/art business or thinking about dealing with art and artists in the future. I personally would recommend this workshop to students of art colleges and schools if they think whether to go into this business or not. Lovely atmosphere, many interesting useful ideas and fantastic students attending this workshop. Don't hesitate to buy this course, you'll get 10 hours of amazing and inspiring workshop. I loved these two days with Tina Ziegler and my class mates. Many thanks, Tina, for your workshop. “
“This course was exactly what I was looking for in order to understand the world of the small art gallery. Tina made it interesting, informative and enjoyable. I would certainly recommend the course to anyone wishing to gain some knowledge of curating and managing an art gallery.”